Monday, November 08, 2004

Hredux: Opelle is Swell, But Unavailable

101-0113_IMG

Christmas is looming and its time to bring up my search for Opelle ornaments again.

Whatever became of the Corning Glassworks Xmas Ornaments that used a process called "Opelle" to create snowflakes of great delicacy? These are amazingly intricate, but very strong. I bought one many years ago at a Jacobson's in Ann Arbor during the holiday clearance. I've never seen one remotely similar, although they had a whole set of different ones.

3 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corning discontinued the Opelle process back in the early 90's. I too like the ornaments but know that they are no longer being created.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these ornaments as well. I have a full set but I did finally break one and wanted to replace it but like you could not find them but at least I found someone with the hope for their return. Snowflakes are my passion and these are by far my favorites. Paula

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too purchased the Opelle snowflakes. I purchased them from
Oglebay Park Gift Shop in Wheeling WV. I have four (4) and would very much like to have the set. Why is it that the lovely items are not made any more?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home