Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hrecommended: My Best of Ann Arbor Food for 2009

The alphabetical order by venue is intentional. All of these places have more going for them than just the items I've chosen to highlight. That said, most of these are local, owner-operated and almost certainly have less consistency to their execution than the robots at a chain restaurant can deliver. This year has been hard on local food outlets. We almost lost one of our perennial favorites. As always, this is my list. Your's will almost certainly be different.
  • Amadeus -- Cheapest Trip to Europe
  • Beezy's -- Best New Restaurant, Best Chicken Salad
  • Cafe Zola -- Best Weekday Lunch Spot
  • Chia Shiang -- Best Chinese, Cheapest Trip to China
  • Dimo's -- Best Burger
  • Kozmo Deli -- Best Bi Bim Bap, Best Diner
  • Lotus Thai -- Best Thai
  • Northside Grill -- Best Breakfast (try the Huron Sampler)
  • Paradise -- Best Asian
  • Paesano's -- Best Seasonal Menu (try the soups, pasta features)
  • Red Hawk -- Best Bar Food, Best non-Beer tap (try the hard ciders and root beer), Best Smoke-Free Place to Have a Beer
  • Ray's Red Hots prev. Red Hot Lovers -- Best Hotdogs (try a Serious Dog, Best Comeback)
  • Selma Fridays -- Best Hidden Kitchen
  • Silvio's Gourmet Pizza -- Best Pizza
  • Star Cafe -- Best Middle-Eastern
  • Totoro -- Best Sushi (tie)
  • Uptown Coney -- Best Club Sandwich
  • Yotsuba -- Best Sushi (tie)
  • Zingerman's Bakehouse -- Best Bread, Best Bagels
  • Zingerman's Roadhouse -- Best Chili (try the Ancho Beef), Best Haute Cuisine, Best Chef (Alex Young)

Sadly, no winners for: Best BBQ, Best Home-style Desserts, Best Fish and Chips, Best Tapas, Best Cajun, Best Service, Best Mexican

Gone but not forgotten: Allen and Rumsey Steakhouse, American Spoon Gelato, Brewbaker's Ginger Cream Soda, Manali, Mr. Rib, Latdior, Los Tres Amigos, Philly's, Original 60's Sub Shop, Rio Bravo, Zydeco, chef Takashi Yagihashi, chef Mark Pruitt

5 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

I think the roadhouse makes some pretty good BBQ brisket.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Scott said...

I haven't eaten Thai in AA in years but I'm surprised Tuptim could be usurped. Guess I must try Lotus if I'm ever back there.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger mremmers said...

I enjoyed reading your list and will now need to go back and give a few of your spots a fresh look. Can I add a few of my favorites?

Indian - Temptations
Breakfast - Afternoon Delight
Vegetarian - Seva
To Go: Produce Station

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger John said...

@mremmers

Thanks for the comments!

I've been to Temptations once and thought it was very good. I've been to Madras Masala several times and like it even more. My favorite Indian place is Priya in Farmington Hills.

I miss Seva's Nori Night. A couple friends and I used to go regularly for it.

I forget about Produce Station's extensive takeout options. Plum Market has some interesting choices, but I haven't tried anything.

Happy New Year!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger zegliano said...

Love the list! I concur.

Allison
@
http://lastbite.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home